Here is a quote of something that I wrote responding to Kaju's blog post on how webmasters are a special breed.

The reason why I am quoting myself here is because I feel if you are a newer webmaster you may not know this information and it may guide you in the right direction:

Umm, I might just add something.

I am a professional 20+ year career webmaster, meaning I have developed hundreds of websites both for myself and for my seo agency clients. (correct I own an seo agency).

the very important distinction I wanted to make here is the fact that once one of your websites does well and gets ranked in the search engines (primarily google) in higher positions, it generally doesn't move from these high rankings for many years thereafter.

What this means is that since I have been creating websites for the past 20 years.

With each new website domain that I purchase and get busy and it starts generating me profits. I can simply FORGET about it and move on to something else.

Then realistically for the next five years or maybe even longer, that same website will continue to (week after week, day by day) generate me profits on AUTO-PILOT.

I literally never have to touch that website again unless it starts to fall down the rankings for some weird reason.

In-time and as you create more websites with each new successful website you create, your main aim (unless you are making it some sort of full time company or business for yourself) should be to fully automate that website's profits so it requires the MINIMUM (if any) maintenance.

Soon you will build your portfolio of websites and with each new money earning website that you set on auto-pilot, you will notice your earnings begin to sky-rocket.

Furthermore, websites in high ranking positions on google (for example) typically start to receive even MORE traffic after being online for over 3 years (as their content ages, their traffic and page-rank on those pages also increases - EVEN IF YOU DON'T EDIT THE CONTENT).

So you may notice large bursts of nice traffic after a couple of years of hosting a website, it doesn't happen overnight (normally).

Now that I have 20 years under my belt and hundreds of websites generating profits for me. I am one of the happiest guys on EARTH.

I almost feel like I don't deserve my success because in hindsight, looking back on how lazy I was when developing these websites and literally not taking them seriously. I NEVER expected to make so much income from them later on, down the track.

BUT I DID.

That is the main point I am trying to make here people.

I guess my main point is this:

"FOR EVERY BIT OF WORK YOU PUT IN TO WEB DEVELOPMENT, YOU GET PAID BACK TEN TIMES WHAT YOU SHOULD BE, AND FOR A VERY LONG TIME AFTER THAT, THE PAYMENTS NEVER STOP, ONCE YOU SUCCEED WITH A WEBSITE, IT LITERALLY KEEPS PAYING FOREVER."

With this knowledge, I learnt that I can turn 1 hour of my time (creating one laser targeted keyword focused article) in to thousands of dollars down the track, effectively making me paid "thousands of dollars per hour of quality work".

so to summarise, yes, I definitely feel PRIVILEGED that I am a webmaster, it's a high distinction believe it or not.

Anyway I just wanted to add my experience and knowledge to your blog article, nice article I think I may have gone a bit over the top with this response, sorry Kaju.

David Kellas.

Please type your questions below.

(If you have not already joined WA, you can; JOIN HERE).