CLICK HERE TO READ THE ARTICLE

Updated news, iolo affiliate program shutting down paid search:

Hi David,

This message is to inform you that from January 10th, 2019 Direct linking through paid search will be prohibited. Partners who break this rule will first be warned via email, and then permanently removed from the iolo affiliate program (if action isn't taken).

What is direct linking?

Direct linking is when a publisher (that's you) creates paid search ads that link directly to iolo.com via an affiliate link. Note. When we talk about paid search we're referring to campaigns run through Google's AdWords and Microsoft's Bing.

What should I do instead?

You must use your own domain, or website/blog, and create some sort of landing page before sending traffic to iolo.com via paid search. Note. A landing page is a standalone web page, created specifically for the purposes of a marketing or advertising campaign. It's where a visitor 'lands' when they have clicked on a Google AdWords ad or similar.

Is this bad for me?

The short answer is no! Contrary to what many affiliate marketers believe, the disbenefits of direct linking generally outweigh the benefits. If many affiliates, as well as iolo, are direct linking to the same landing pages we're all effectively bidding for the same display URL i.e. iolo.com. This means that bids are several times higher than they need to be.

If you run a campaign on your own domain there's no competition for the same display URL, and typically your bid prices will be lower. (Depending on your Quality Score and a number of other factors). Note. Direct linking can sometimes give you a bad quality score and in some cases even cause instant disapproval of your paid search ad.

Next steps...

To learn how to create a landing page that converts, please check out this guide on CrazyEgg.com. It's packed with actionable advice for both newbies and experienced Internet marketers. We also recommend a Google search as the topic of developing high-converting landing pages is a broad one!

iolo sincerely appreciates your continued support and participation in our affiliate program.

If you have questions, comments or concerns, please email us at: affiliates@iolo.com.

Yours sincerely,

James D. Nardell
iolo.com Affiliate Management Team

If you have any questions, post them below.